Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A city in the mountains

My days mostly consist of lectures on child development, administration, shepherding children and such; cleaning, reading, and doing homework. All very good and necessary, but not particularly inspirational for blogging.

This weekend though, I left the building. And took some pictures. :) They seemed more worth blogging about.

I went walking with some friends. Just a few minutes from our neighborhood is San Gabriel (if I remember correctly) It's very different from our neighborhood. (we're in an upper class neighborhood, San Gabriel is much lower economically) It doesn't feel so urban and modern.

Here's the catholic church. Isn't it pretty?

It's built up into the mountain, so the roads are very steep.

We stopped and had a picnic in front of Don Luis's house (a friend Ericka had made out walking before) There's a great view of the city from his house!

Part of my picnic lunch. This fruit is called a granadilla. I think they look like fish eyes, or maybe frog eggs. They're fun to eat though. The gooey part is sweet, and the seed in the center of each one is sour.

An over-exposed view of the city. It's giant (about the size of NYC) Aren't the clouds nice?
We hiked a bit into the mountains. It's nice to be so close to them, and to be able to get out of the city and into nature in just a few minutes.



Oh and one last picture, this was taken Saturday night when we went out to Crepes and Waffles. If you're ever in Colombia (or Ecuador and some other Latin American countries) I highly recommend it. They have some amazing desserts. I had a crepe with chocolate and hazelnut ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream.


1 comment:

Jan and Randy said...

That is one big city! Amazing such a difference within walking distance.

Um, I think I gained 5 pounds just looking at the desserts.

Jan