Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Some odds and ends

Estoy aprendiendo Pachuco!

Pachuco is the word for Costa Rican slang. The Ticos (which is what Costa Rican’s call themselves) on our team have been teaching us pachuco. I love learning slang and colloquialisms. It’s so fun to learn words that aren’t even in the dictionary. So, so far my pachuco vocabulary includes “barra” which means “thing”, “mai” as in “guy”, “lo juimos” (or ele jota) which means “let’s go”, “sapa” which means, more or less, “I don’t want to hear it any more”. Harina, which literally means wheat, means money here. Chiva and tuanis both mean cool. (spellings here are all my best guess)

So, last night when we were starting a movie, and Chove said, “Mai, como funciona esa barra” (How’s this thing work man?”), I was so proud of myself that I understood him, pachuco and all. We’ll see what I learn next. J

Lemuel




Daniel and Claudia are the resident family at our house. They have an 11-month-old son named Lemuel who is the cutest little guy ever. Whenever he comes into a room, everyone is drawn to him like a magnet. Anyway, yesterday or the day before, Lemuel took his first steps. He is so cute and proud of himself every time he walks. Today he was walking back and forth between his dad and I, almost falling over as he walked, or closer to ran, back and forth. He would clap for himself each time he reached one of us. His pride in his accomplishment and his smile are contagious.



DTS classes have started and are going well! I'll have to write more about them later, since it's time to stop using the computer and start being either social or helpful.

1 comment:

beth said...

HI Annie,

I think my comment just got deleted. Anyway, I'm enjoying reading your posts. You sound like you're having a great time already. We missed you at the Spanish restaurant yesterday.

Aunt Beth