Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A different way to spend the evening

Last night, I hung out on a street corner with a few transvestite prostitutes.

Apparently prostitution is legal here in Costa Rica. The DTS team from Denver that's here right now went out last night to minister to prostitutes, and I was invited along to translate. As we drove past groups of women standing on street corners, I began to feel both compassion and fear. There is so much pain and sin in this world. Christ is working through his church to redeem a world where we have hurt each other so much that men lose their identities as men, put their bodies on display, and sell themselves to make a living.

We dropped off our first group of 4 girls- 2 Denver team members and 2 translators- as we continued on, covering them in prayer. As I watched them approach the first group, my fear grew. Not for their safety, but the fear of stepping outside my comfort zone. I worried about what I would say, how they would react to our presence, what they would think of us.

When we were ready to send out the next team, I was half hoping I wouldn't be on it, but I also knew I needed to look to God instead of my fear. So, Elena, 2 Denver DTS girls and I approached the prostitutes on the corner. And you know what? Beginning our conversation was awkward, but we had fun. We laughed together, we talked about food and music, we heard a little bit of their stories. One of them is 23 years old and has been on the street since she was 6. Elena asked if they'd like to get off the streets and they shared that they would, and the difficulties of finding jobs, especially as transvestites.

We didn't end up spending too much time sharing about God's love, but they did let us pray with them before we left. And if I go back again, I won't be nearly as afraid to step out of my comfort zone. Maybe I'll participate more in the conversation instead of just listening. And if I go a 3rd time, maybe I'll be ready to share more about WHY I'm choosing to hang out on street corners instead of going to bed. Each time we go, our trust in God will grow, and relationships will grow. And as we trust God and each other more, that is when we will see God at work.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Annie,

Thanks for sharing! What a great testimony of how God is working in your life. Praying for you,

Whitney (Gropp) Albright

Jan and Randy said...

It is hard to step out of your comfort zone. But you are right, the more you do it, the more you'll see results. You have to build relationships first. Good luck.

Jan