Tuesday, September 28, 2010

10 point public bathroom rating scale

  1. It's free
  2. Door that closes and locks
  3. Toilet has a seat
  4. Toilet paper is available (only half point if it's outside the stall)
  5. Toilet paper is free
  6. Toilet flushes (only half point if you have to manually flush by dumping a bucket of water in)
  7. Water to wash hands (half point bonus if there's hot water too)
  8. Soap
  9. Something to dry hands
  10. hook/shelf for purse or coat
I'm thinking public bathrooms here average somewhere around 7.5.

I think the most bizarre bathroom I've ever used was in the jungle in Ecuador. It was surprisingly a flush toilet, in the middle of the jungle (we hiked down a dirt road and forded a creek to get there), but there was no door on it. So, you just sat there, looking towards the path, and hoping no one appeared.

Flushing the toilet with a bucket of water from a 50 gallon barrel of water at the museum in Nicaragua was another "this would never happen in the States" experience. And, the vending machines selling toilet paper inside a public restroom I'd already paid to use here in Bogota were the most outrageous.

1 comment:

Breka said...

HA! One of the things that I think is missing in our Global Village here is culturally appropriate bathrooms...I've lost track of the number of middle school girls who look at me with a horrified stare and say"Wait, we will be able to take a shower, right? Because I NEED a shower."