Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Naked in Paradise

I was at a Bible study last night, and we talked about God's original plan for creation, and how God's desire is for that original plan to be restored. Anyway, it got me thinking about what life was like in the garden of Eden. And I realized how far my own conception of reality differs from God's original plan.

God created a garden, a perfect place, where fruits grew easily and weeds didn't exist. The weather was perfect, or at least there was no rain. Then, he placed a couple, their marriage literally designed in heaven, in the garden. And there, they enjoyed God's creation, they enjoyed each other, they enjoyed God's presence. That's it. They were to care for the garden, be stewards of creation. But, there was no back-breaking toil. After all, with no sin in the world, no problems to fix, no weeds to kill, no people to help, what is there do do in a garden?

And then came the fall and something fundamental changed. That precious relationship between God and man was broken. Work became difficult. Trust was broken between Adam and Eve. Distractions from enjoying God and his creation arose- thorns, mosquitos, worries, fear. . .

That's the world I was born into. It's the world I know as true. But, beyond that is another truth. I live in this world, groaning to be restored. I am called, as a child of God, to be an instrument of his restoration in this world. But, God's original plan was his children, enjoying him, enjoying each other, enjoying creation.

And so often, I don't live like that. Especially lately I feel like I've forgotten how to truly rest. If I'm not working, my mind runs through what I could be doing, should be doing- creating more games for my students to practice their reading skills, writing donation request letters, cooking real food for my dinner, responding to e-mails. . . The list goes on and on and on. And so, I feel guilty for reading a book, watching a movie, going for a walk with no set destination, hanging out in the park on my way home. I'm not really resting, I'm procrastinating. The saying, "there's no rest for the wicked" comes to mind on days when I hurry from one task to another and then try to convince myself that my day was productive enough when I no longer have the energy to bite off another task.

But that's not the way God designed this world. He didn't plan to make humans work so we could solve the world's problems. His words were, "Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:29). I sometimes see my "work" as the reason I am here. But that's not true. I am here to "glorify God and enjoy Him forever"

I don't want to neglect the work God has given me. I want to put my best into the things I do. But, I also don't want to hold myself to a standard God hasn't given me. I don't want to create tasks for myself to prove, I'm not even sure what- my worth? that what I do here is worthy of the support I receive? I want to learn to rest. To set aside the tasks that will be done later, knowing I have done what I need to for now, and to enjoy. Enjoy God. Enjoy friendships. Enjoy his creation.

Any tips for me as I try to learn what it truly means to rest?


3 comments:

Breka said...

Meditation. No, I'm serious. Remembering what it's like to just be. Sitting still - no reading, no music, no mental checklists. Just exist and breathe. Redefine your idea of productivity to include actually taking time to enjoy life and the world and the country you are living in. On the days when you don't have to work DON'T work, and set limits to how late you will do work related things in the day. I realized over the summer, when I was working from 8-8 most days, how quickly I was going to burn out if I didn't guard my off time. And start thinking worst case scenario when it comes to the things you have to get done. I often find that even if the worst happens, it's not actually that bad. If it really is a horrible outcome, then prioritize it. If it isn't, let it go and take a break. You could make a game for your kids and they may or may not get a lot out of it. But if you go into class stressed and burnt out, then it's a pretty sure bet that they aren't going to get a lot out of your teaching. That, at least, is my view point.
Wow - that was long. But still shorter than my emails ;-)

Tiffany Pistole said...

I have the same problem! But if I took the advice above and meditated, I'd be asleep in minutes. Most times when I sit down and close my eyes to pray, I'm asleep in seconds. I find myself praying with my eyest open or while moving around the house. Whenever I sit down to take a break (no matter what time of day or night) I find myself passing out from exhaustion into some sort of forced hibernation. Please let me (a fellow teacher) know if you find anything that works for you!! I'd appreciate it!! :) -Tiffany Pistole

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

For me, rest happens when I realize (philosophically and practically) that God is omnipotent, and doesn't need me to do his work for him. He lets me come along for the ride, sometimes :-P

I really like what you said about the garden of Eden. Thanks for sharing!