Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Number the Stars

Psalm 147:1-5
1Praise the LORD! For it is good to sing praises to our God;
for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting.
2 The LORD builds up Jerusalem;
he gathers the outcasts of Israel.
3He heals the brokenhearted
and binds up their wounds.
4He determines the number of the stars;
he gives to all of them their names.
5 Great is our Lord, and abundant in power;
his understanding is beyond measure.


Tonight, when I got home from dinner with friends, I stopped in the driveway to look up at the stars. They're beautiful, and farther away than I can even understand. God, my great God, created these giant stars that are so distant, and yet still give us light. He gave each and every one of them a name. The universe is so vast, that we can't even measure it, and yet, God can measure it in his hand.

Isaiah 40:12
Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
or weighed the mountains on the scales
and the hills in a balance?

When I think about that, it puts my own worries in perspective. God is powerful. He is way bigger than we comprehend. There is NOTHING he cannot do, nothing that is too hard for him. My worries are revealed for just what they are- sin. Why do I worry? My God has promised to supply all my needs (Philippians 4:19). He has promised never to forsake me (Hebrews 13:5). He has promised to guide me (Psalm 32:8). How do I ever dare doubt that God can or will provide for me? Why do I ever feel the need to take care of myself? God is not even phased by my problem. He is not confused by how to deal with it. He placed the stars in place. He does not need my help for anything, and I can trust him completely.

I watched this video yesterday and recommend it. It begins to give you a glimpse of just how amazing, unfathomable and indescribable our God is. Watch parts 2-5 as well if you have the time.



No comments: