Thursday, June 4, 2009

Arepa City

Spanish meet-up met at Arepa City, a new Venezuelan restaurant on 2nd street, on Tuesday.  I've been looking forward to trying it out since I saw it was opening back over Easter weekend.  I was not disappointed.  Not only was the food fun, different, and tasty, the price was right.  My bill came to $10.82 and I had an appetizer, dinner, and dessert.  Their specialty is arepas, a type of corn cake, which are popular in Venezuela and Colombia.  My arepa came stuffed with shredded flank steak, black beans, queso fresco, and fried plantain.  My appetizer was tostones, which are green plantains that are mashed, flattened into circles, and fried.  There were probably 6 different mayonnaise based dipping sauces for the tostones, chocolate mayo being the most unique and the avocado one probably my favorite.  For dessert I had the mocha flan, which was quite tasty.  

I'll have to go back again sometime before I leave.  (which, by the way is in exactly 4 weeks and 1 day, not that I'm keeping track or anything.)


No comments: