Friday, September 20, 2013

This quiet corner of the world

It's the stillness that amazes me, the way I'm only 2 miles from the heart of downtown, and yet within a 10 minute walk, I've entered a different world.   I set out, armed with my incomplete map, headed to a new destination.  I never know beforehand quite what to expect- a narrow line winds it's way across the map.  I follow it.  It starts off as a country road, wide enough for two cars, but nobody passes me while I'm on it.  As I continue, it narrows down, it's just wide enough for one car now.  And then suddenly, with no explanation at all, it's nothing but a bike path, or a walking trail.  And then, just as suddenly, you come out of the forest, or take a turn, and you've encountered civilization again.  It was never far away, but with nothing but the river, trees, and wheat fields, it's easy to forget.
There's a sense of adventure as I ride my bike.  I feel like I'm boldly setting off to explore uncharted territory.  As I enter the woods, I can't help but think of Little Red Riding Hood.  It's dark amongst the pine trees, and I can imagine a wolf lurking just out of sight.  I don't think wolves live around here though, just some GIANT hares.  (As in up to 30 inches long.  In comparison an average cat is 18 inches long, not counting the tail)

I took a walk one Sunday, just to ramble.  I walked past a family farm where a dad was lifting up his toddler to pet a horse.  The road ended, and the path climbed into the woods, and then split, one side continuing through the woods, the other down towards the river.  I walked between fields of wheat as cyclists and joggers occasionally passed.  Close to the river, I spread a blanket, ate an apple, and drifted off to sleep while reading a book in the sun.

No comments: