Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Three years. . .

Three years ago, I left home to start my DTS.

Three years far from family.
Three years developing friendships that feel like family.

Three years without peaches and blueberries.
Three years of mangos and passion fruit.

Three years without a salary.
Three years of seeing God's faithful provision.

Three years without seasons.
Three years of constant spring.

Three years without library visits.
Three years of deepening bilingualism.

Three years of more tears and loneliness than I have known before.
Three years of  greater community than I ever experienced before.

Three years of never being enough.
Three years of learning God is always enough.


This past year has been a roller coaster- from July of last year, I have experienced some of the months of deepest contentment in my life as I could see how God brought me here, planted me here, and was using me.  I have also lived some of the months of deepest discouragement, as I question my effectiveness, God's role in the universe, and my next steps.  Nothing "new" has happened this year; for an entire year I've lived in the same house, had the same job.  But yet, it's been a year of deep refining.  I'm still in the process, and it's painful. I think there are changes coming up around the corner, but the corner may be farther away than I imagine.

I wonder where next year will find me.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Annie, for sharing perspective. The refining process is so difficult sometimes, but we have to marvel at what God does. Three years is a long time and a lot of loneliness - and love. I'm thankful for your stability and dedication, and I know He will finish what He has begun. Oh, and by the way, I always describe Bogota as eternal fall; spring sounds like a brighter perspective! :-)

Jan and Randy said...

Sometimes we're only able to see our progress in hindsight. Just can't tell where our journey is taking us until we can look back and see where we've been.

I'm sure your journey will be rewarding and exciting and just what it should be. It just might take a while to see and reflect on it.

Jan