Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The God who waits

When I was a child, I loved The Story about Ping.  It tells about a little duckling on the Yangtze river who lives on a river boat with his whole extended family.  One day, he wanders away and when all the ducks are called back to the boat, he realizes he will be last to get on.  The last duck back always got a spank on the back, so Ping decides not to go back, and he swims away.  He has several misadventures before he finally finds his family and the boat again, and decides to go back, despite again being last and needing to suffer the spank on his back.

I think sometimes, I picture God the same way as the duck keeper on the boat.  He stands there, waiting with his switch to punish me if I've gone astray.  And so, when I know my attitude hasn't been pleasing God, or I've done something I know I shouldn't, I do the same thing as Ping (or Adam and Eve).  I hide.  I hesitate to truly enter into God's presence and listen to his voice.  I know I don't deserve his mercy and grace, and so I isolate myself.  But, in doing so, I miss what God wants to offer.  I'll suffer the natural consequences of my sin.  I'll continue to suffer for distancing myself in my relationship to God.  But God's judgement is only for those whose backs are to him.  As soon as we turn to him, he is gracious to us.  Here's what it says in Isaiah 30:15 and 18


For thus said the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel,
“In returning and rest you shall be saved;
in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.”
But you were unwilling, . . .
Therefore the LORD waits to be gracious to you,




and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you.
For the LORD is a God of justice;
blessed are all those who wait for him.

God doesn't wait like the duck keeper, to smack us on the back when he returns. He won't enforce our self-imposed isolation. He won't send us to a heavenly time out. God waits to to be gracious. He waits to show mercy. As soon as we turn our faces to him, he welcomes us back to himself.  Like the father welcoming the prodigal son, he doesn't make sure we get what we deserve before showing mercy.  Instead God the Father waits for our return to shower us with grace and mercy.  


What astounding love.  When we turn our backs to the creator of the universe, he doesn't wait to give us what we deserve.  He waits to be gracious.  His heart's longing is to receive us back as his own dear children.  


1 comment:

Anneli said...

Wonderful post, Annie! First of all, I forgot about that book, I also loved it as a child! And second, I know I often behave that way as well. "Hiding from God" (as if that were possible..) or not wanting to talk to Him since I know I've been bad. Hmm.... something I needed to hear. Thanks!

Blessings,
Anneli