Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happily ever after

I walk downstairs for the morning break in our full day conference. I find the room transformed: red, white and blue bunting is strung from the ceiling. The table, decorated with flower petals, is spread with scones, tea, strawberry and cream cake, lemon drizzle cake, cucumber sandwiches. A genuine British tea. The sign on the wall makes it clear why- “Happy Wedding day William and Kate!” it declares.


We watch the three minute clip of highlights of the wedding. Of everything- the beauty of the bride in her amazing dress, the pageantry of a royal wedding in Westminster Abbey, their “first kiss” on the balcony of Buckingham palace- what stands out to me the most is the look in Prince William’s eyes as Kate joins him at the altar. They shine with joy.

Across the world we celebrate with them. I don’t know them, haven’t thought about Prince William since I was about 14 and saw his photo on the cover of a book in the library. And yet, we rejoice with them, captured by the universal joy of a wedding and the special fairy tale quality of a royal wedding.

And then, God brings back to my mind a verse I’ve been pondering all week, since it jumped out at me last Saturday, “And as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you”.

That look in Prince William’s eyes as his bride came to join him, that’s the look in God’s eyes as we, as I, come to him. Joy to be mine and that I am his. Wonder that when he chose me, I chose him over anyone and anything else. Marveling at me and the beauty and uniqueness of me.

Just imagine our happiness as we celebrated a wedding of royalty we didn’t know happening across the ocean compared to how much greater it will be at the wedding feast of the Lamb. If some scones and tea and a pretty dress and the exchange of vows of a prince and his princess could make us all feel lighter and happier, imagine when the Prince of Peace takes his bride. We won’t be watching the reruns on youtube. We will be there, and not just there. We will be the bride, given to the Prince of Peace by our father, the King of Kings. That will be a party worth remembering. We will be one, sorrow over, waiting and longing past. And this is a story we know ends, “and they lived happily ever after”.

1 comment:

Melody said...

i love this analogy and what a good way to put it. thanks for the wonderful reminder! :)