Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gone

Today, the boys left. We went to church together, came home to eat together, enjoyed a lazy Sunday afternoon, they even talked us all into playing Monopoly. But there was a heaviness for all of us. The echo of the word "last" in every little moment we enjoyed.

Their mom came around 4. We didn't know what to say to her, she didn't know what to say to us. She wants them to live with her again; they love their mom and should be with her. But it was hard to see them go. They cried to say good bye. I cried too. So little of their situation has changed, I'm afraid the circumstances that brought them to our door the first time will just be repeated. Hopefully this week they'll start attending a small Christian school which will be much better spiritually and academically than the public school they were attending. That at least is one comfort to me. But my heart aches for them, so small and vulnerable. I can't be there for them every day now, showering them with love, teaching, disciplining, laughing. . . But, I can keep praying. And I could never be the answer for them, all I could ever do was point them to the answer. And Jesus goes with them. They don't need me. They do need him.

So, I pray. Pray that the seeds that have been planted in their hearts take root and bear fruit. Pray that their mom follows through with the changes she has verbally committed too. Pray that they would continue to be loved and guided as they go through these years when they really need someone to be there for them.

2 comments:

Jan and Randy said...

I'm sorry. That is hard. That's one reason we have never become foster parents. Saying goodbye. It's very hard.

Hope you are feeling better this week.

Jan

Anna J said...

Oh Annie,
I feel for you. So much of what you are feeling and experiencing is what my family went through when we lost my foster-to-adopt brother, Daviance. Though it look me a very long time to come to the realizations you've come to, I eventually had to recognize that Daviance needs Jesus more than he needs my family. But it's still hard. I'm sure both you and I still have to wonder, "but who is going to love these boys?"
So... Abba Father, we trust you with the boys' lives- whether they are in "good" places or "bad" places- they are ultimately in your hands. We believe that you are watching over them, protecting them, providing for them, healing them, and loving them. We ask that they will fall in love with you and learn to trust you with their lives. Thank you Jesus for giving us the opportunity to be a part of these precious lives. As Annie said, my the seeds that have been planted continue to grow.