Friday, January 21, 2011

My love, my life

Praying out loud has never been something I'm very comfortable with. I'm even less comfortable with it in Spanish than I am in English. Listen to a prayer sometime. We speak differently when we're praying than when we're speaking, and I still don't feel "fluent" praying in Spanish.

One difference is that when we're praying, we use God's name every other phrase. When I first really noticed that, it struck me as odd. After all, if I'm talking to my sister, I don't say, "Rebecca, I ask you my sister, to please, help me this Saturday Becca with all the painting I have to do." But just change Rebecca, my sister, and Becca to a name for God and the petition to one for healing or provision and you have a perfectly "acceptable" prayer.

When I first really noticed this, I tried to stop using a name for God in every sentence when I was praying out loud. It seemed like it was just a strange habit we've somehow communally developed.

The other night riding on the bus I overheard a conversation and I wondered if I was wrong. The man next to me was talking to his girlfriend on his cell phone. The conversation went something like this. . . "Hello my love. And how was your day sweetheart? . . . Oh, I'm happy to hear that love. Yes my dear. . . But you'll be careful, right love? And call me when you get there, ok sweetheart? And so dear, are we still going tomorrow love? Can you pick me up at 9 then? All right beautiful precious one, I'll see you tomorrow. Good bye my love."

Maybe, just maybe using some form of God's name over and over stemmed from the same reason this man kept calling his girlfriend mi amor, mi vida, mi corazon, preciosa hermosa; he was delighting in her, in their relationship to each other, he was affirming her and telling her he valued her.

And I want to do that with God. I want to cut out all the "filler" phrases I use when praying out loud. I want to think, not just with my head, but with my heart. And when my heart is filled with love, praise, admiration, and joy to be in relationship, then I want to say to Him wonderful, counselor, almighty God, everlasting Father, prince of peace, my love, my life, my treasure.

No comments: