Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Children at Risk School

We're half way through the third week of the Children at Risk school. We're learning about family interactions, normal and abnormal childhood development, and the biblical basis of working with at-risk kids among other things. At least, that's what we're learning in class.

Outside of class, I've been learning about God's grace, and how hard it can be for me to accept it. I've been learning that the control I thought I had over my life and my emotions was really just an illusion. I've also been learning that I don't want to need other people in my life, but that God didn't make his people to operate in isolation.

I've also been reading a lot. We have to do 8 book reports during the school, and while I spent a week at the farm last week, I had a lot of free time on my hands. So since the school started, I have read Too Small to Ignore (by Wes Stafford of Compassion International), Street Children: a handbook for ministry, The Shack, The Five Love Languages, and Healing Grace. I think next up is Aman, the memoir of a Somali girl.

2 comments:

MOM said...

Just a bit jealous of all that reading! Love you!

Jan and Randy said...

You are growing!!!! (it can be uncomfortable at times) That's why you did this...to grow and learn (and help).

Continued blessings.

Jan