Monday, November 30, 2015

Split Pea Pie

“I’ll make a pumpkin pie and an apple pie”, I said. How hard could it be, really?  I’d just bought something that was smaller, greener, harder shelled, and more ridged than a pumpkin at the market the week before, and it was remarkably pumpkin like inside.

Sundays are market days, and the streets were overflowing with vendors. I walked down a crowded lane, fruit displays, papaya, pineapple, granadillas, strawberries, and some fruits I couldn’t even identify forming haphazard towers.  I restacked an orange I’d knocked to the ground as I brushed past and headed past vegetables: tomatoes, red peppers, onions, eggplants and broccoli. I wasn’t noticing any pumpkin-like squash. I headed into the covered market, made a detour to one of the stalls in the back that sells candles and then zig-zagged through past kitchen goods, dried peppers, cheap clothes, fresh fish and more vegetables.  Still no sign of pumpkins.

Outside, and close to giving up, I finally spotted something that looked like a cross between a butternut squash and a watermelon. It just might do the trick. “What color is it inside?” I asked the lady selling it. “Black”, she answered off-handedly. “Black?!”  I asked, surprise in my voice, as my mind mentally cataloged every vegetable dish I’ve ever been served at Guatemalan restaurants and failing to bring a single black squash to mind. But, she continued to insist that it was black, and when I told her I was looking for one that was orange inside and asked if she had any, she pulled another odd shaped winter squash from under some lettuce and presented it to me.  It looked pretty much like the other. “It might be black, it might be orange,” she shrugged, then nicked the outside skin, revealing some pale orange flesh underneath.

I took my pumpkin substitute home and tried to hack it open with my kitchen knife.  When it finally split, I looked at it in consternation.  Blackish green goop and dark greyish green flesh were what the inner layer looked like, only the very outside of the squash was orange at all.  But, I had a pie to make, so I cut it into pieces and stuck it on the stove to boil. 
As I scooped the softened flesh from the shell to make puree I almost stopped the experiment then.  The green vastly overwhelmed the orange and this was going to be the strangest “pumpkin” pie ever.  But, I had just spent an hour buying it, hacking it apart, and boilng it til it was soft enough, and it smelled and tasted pumpkiny enough so I threw it into the blender, and continued my recipe anyway.

Several hours later, my no bake, pea-soup “pumpkin” pie was chilled and ready to go.  And green notwithstanding, I’m thankful that a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg go a long way towards transforming a mystery squash into a very tasty and almost convincing “pumpkin” pie.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this story. We have great pumpkins here.

Aunt Cherie