Friday, May 1, 2015

House hunting- Pana style

"So, you ready to go look at houses?" my coworker asked me, unlocking his motorcycle after our meeting last Friday.  House hunting I was sure about, riding a motorcycle not quite as much so, but I clambered on the back and off we went.  As we reached the road along the lake I caught my breath.  The volcanoes were rising up on the far side of the lake, their triangular peaks cutting the sky.  I hadn’t gotten a chance to see them when I arrived the day before since clouds and mist obscured the view.  I wished I had my camera with me, but taking photos while riding on the back of a motorcycle probably isn’t recommended anyway.
Things didn’t look so great at first- a phone call to confirm a place to look at that we found out was no longer available, a decent studio apartment but they wouldn’t let me have my cat, 3 real estate offices with nothing worth looking at. . . I was beginning to think this might be impossible.
That same evening though, after giving up for the night, I was talking to a friend.  She was also house-hunting and had found the perfect place her first try on a tip from a friend.  There happened to be a 2nd house available in the same complex, so she gave me the contact info.
The next morning, sitting over breakfast, I made a couple phone calls and set up 2 more apartment visits.  Then, in the afternoon, I walked around until I found “for rent” signs and made a couple more spontaneous visits.  Three of the places were a bit bleak and depressing- cement block walls, dark, claustrophobic.  Not really options in my book.  But the first one I looked at, the one my friend recommended, had potential.
So, I decided to move in.  I just took it for a month for now, in case I find something I love in the next few weeks.  But if I don’t this is fine.  It’s furnished, centrally located, decent rent, a good size for just me, bright and sunny, seems safe, and has a patio and yard. It’s also rather noisy at night, I miss having kitchen cupboards, the internet has been really bad, they’re doing construction next door so I hear hammers and saws all afternoon, and I have trouble getting the hot water heater for the shower started, so I might still keep looking.  But at least for now, here’s my house in Pana.

My tiny house, porch and yard. The rainy season is just now starting, so the grass will be green soon.

My bedroom- on the small side, but then, I'm a small person.

My favorite room in the house- the living room is quite cozy

My very non-US kitchen



No comments: