Sunday, April 27, 2014

Flipping to the last page

I looked up from the book I was reading, and glanced out the window.  We were passing through some city I didn't recognize.  I went back to reading, musing that I liked long bus rides.  There's a bit of adventure along the way, you're not quite sure of where you are, or where you'll be next, but you're secure in your final destination.  Why couldn't I treat life the same way, I wondered.  Stop worrying about the unexpected detours and unknown stops in my path, and just feel secure in my final destination.

When I was a kid, I used to love Nancy Drew mysteries.  Despite having read dozens, and knowing there were dozens more to read, there would usually come a point in the book where I was scared.  They seemed to be in an impossible situation with no way out.  So, I would flip to the end of the book, and just read the last paragraph.  I didn't want to read enough to give away the fun of the adventure, just enough to give myself the courage to keep reading, knowing that everything was going to be all right.

I feel a bit that way in my own life right now.  Not scared of danger, just scared of unknowns.  Overwhelmed by all the changes I know are coming just a year from now, and feeling like I don't have the resources to handle them.

But, as I was riding on that bus yesterday, I was reminded of something.  I do know the ending.  And everything does turn out all right.  There's a lot I don't know about the journey, but that's ok, because I know the ending, and that gives me courage to keep on keeping on.

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son." Revelation 21:3-7

No comments: