Friday, February 22, 2013

reverse culture shock

I was out the other day, running errands, it was lunch time and I was hungry, and already in a grocery store, so I decided to buy myself a snack.

I thought to myself that I'd get some raisins and peanuts, and maybe a yogurt.  I headed to the aisle with the nuts.  There were no raisins and peanuts.  Do we not eat them here?  You know, mixed together, in a little bag?  That's my number one go to snack when I want something healthy and cheap and with enough protein that I don't get a headache. They almost always sell them in the checkout line.  I settled for a trail mix with raisins and peanuts along with other ingredients, and headed towards the yogurts feeling a bit disoriented.

I hadn't even gotten to the yogurts when I realized I had a problem- I'm used to drinkable yogurt.  That's the norm in Colombia.  They didn't have even one drinkable yogurt at this grocery store.  And I was reasonably sure that unlike Colombia, where they have disposable spoons at the checkout that they give you if you ask and have something like a yogurt, they don't do that in the States.  I stared at the yogurts, wondering what to do with a non-drinkable yogurt and no spoon when I thought of the deli department.  Problem solved with a spoon where they were selling soups, I was on my way, but still feeling not quite at home in my own country.

1 comment:

Ava said...

A yogurt solution - try kefir! It comes in big(ish) bottles, but tastes like yogurt and is drinkable! It reminds me very much of yogurt in Ecuador :)