Friday, October 19, 2012

The bend in the road

It all started with a growing unrest, the realization that where I am and where I want to be aren't the same.  And then, I stumbled upon Finland.  I had no idea that they were one of the top ranked countries worldwide for their education system.  Nor did I know they had tuition free masters programs even for foreign students.  But once I found out, the idea wouldn't go away.  "What if I did my masters in Education in Finland?  Then I'd be more well prepared and well rounded to be in a leadership position. . ." 

From there, I think I just caught the studying bug.  I found more programs, all of which sounded fun, challenging, a way to broaden my outlook and increase my effectiveness.  And what started as a joke (I think I'll go to Finland and do my masters) became serious (which grad schools do I want to apply to and what are the deadlines?)


So, next stop for me?  Grad school.  Maybe in Finland.  Maybe in Chicago.  Maybe in Cambridge.  Maybe somewhere else I haven't discovered yet.  And that's exciting and good.  It's scary too- I've gotten comfortable here.  I absolutely love my friends. I know my way around, I have a job that's satisfying (most of the time) and challenging (all the time).  Leaving all that for the unknown, that's the scary part, but the unknown bit is what makes it exciting too.  Who knows what adventures are waiting for me?

 "Oh, I've dozens of plans, Marilla. I've been thinking them out for a week. I shall give life here my best, and I believe it will give its best to me in return. When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla. I wonder how the road beyond it goes--what there is of green glory and soft, checkered light and shadows--what new landscapes--what new beauties--what curves and hills and valleys further on."
( From Anne of Green Gables ch. 38)

1 comment:

Anneli said...

I will absolutely be praying for you! I know it's scary but it's an exciting time as well! Unknown are always tough though. Know that God will lead and guide you and place you where you are supposed to be.

How was your visit home?