Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A guava walks into a corner store. . .

I pull our metal shopping cart behind me as Rae Ann and I walk into the meat section of Palo Quemao, the indoor market. I don't like the smell in this section, and I've stopped buying meat here ever since my friend at cooking school told me about a study they did on the hygiene of the meat here. But, it's the closest entrance from my house.

Once we've walked down that corridor though, we come out into the central room, my favorite. It's full of fruits and vegetables, every stand run by a different vendor.
I choose tomatoes, sample strawberries (and buy a pound for 60 cents), and stock up on more fruits and vegetables. The problem with Palo Quemao is we always buy too much. It's cheaper, fresher, and there are way more options than at the local grocery store. Then we have to be creative to use everything before it goes bad.

The market is a labyrinth that I still get lost in. One section sells only citrus fruits. Another sells beautiful hand-made baskets, vases, and other house decorations. Then there are the small stalls selling bulk grains, dry goods, and paper products. If you get there early enough in the morning, outside there are dozens of flower vendors, selling roses, $2.50 a dozen. One day we stumbled across several kinds of chili peppers (which I haven't seen anywhere else), and I know one stand that sells bok choy and Chinese cabbage.

We remember to stop and pick up eggs and cheese on the way out. You can buy them singly, or in flats of 30. We don't refrigerate eggs here and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Stocked up on groceries for the week, we head home.
We have traditional grocery stores here too, though the aisles are narrower, the options different, and the salad dressing selection and canned tomato products almost non-existent. But, on days when we have time before Palo Quemao closes in the afternoon, I love to do my shopping there.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Loved the pictures. Woke up this morning wondering what you've been up to! Love you.

Rebecca said...

You are a much better photographer than I, as evidenced by the lovely Palo Quemao pics. NICE JOB- and one of my favorite Colombianisms. I also like the table post - that's something that's been hard for me going back after Christmas break. I can't have company 3 or 4 times a week, or just run over to some friends for supper... and I miss it! Blessings to you this year!

Annie said...

Thanks Mom and Rebecca. I can't take credit for the pictures though- they are Rae Ann's. She was the smart one who though to take her camera.