Sunday, July 3, 2011

A year ago. . .

2 years ago today, I arrived in Costa Rica to start my DTS.

One year ago today, I graduated from the Children at Risk school.

Tomorrow will mark the third 4th of July in a row that I've spent outside of the States.

In the past year I finished my first year of teaching in Colombia. I designed a first and second grade reading program in Spanish and taught 9 children how to read or improve their reading skills. I did a Bible study on the entire book of Matthew with a first grade class. I saw God's spirit at work in the lives of children. I rejoiced to see some kids come back for a second year, and others move on to the continuing education phase of the ministry. And I've struggled as some have dropped out of school, gone to very overcrowded and poor quality public schools and faced some tough issues.

I've had 7 different house mates, lived with a family of 5 (along with 2 of my other housemates) and had 2 boys live with us. I lived at Jordi and Ria's, the 127 house, and Torre Fuerte. I moved into a neighborhood within walking distance of where I worked and helped with the makeover of a 100 year old home. I received visits from my brother Jonathan, my sister Rebecca, my Mom and a friend from church.

I learned to say yes when invited to play soccer, volleyball, or basketball. And what's more, I've learned to enjoy it despite the fact that I still am not much help to my team (and sometimes accidently help the opposing team)

I experienced a bit what it is like to be a mom as my housemates and I took responsibility for 2 brothers in February and March. We cooked and cleaned and laughed and played together. I tried to figure out how to help them grow into the young men God desires them to be.

I moved into a new position at my school, taking the role as the academic director instead of a classroom teacher. I'm trying to learn how to be in a position of authority with adults and not just children.

This year God's been teaching me to focus more on being, not doing. I've been learning what it means to rest. I've been overwhelmed by my Father's loving attention to detail in my life, and learning bit by bit to trust him more with the big picture too.

Wow. Amazing what can happen in a year. I couldn't have imagined all of this last July. I wonder where I'll be and what will have changed by this time next July?

3 comments:

Beth and Abby said...

Very cool, Annie. And, I've enjoyed following along. It's so neat to see God working in your life.

Love you and miss you,
Aunt Beth

Leslie said...

This is really neat, Annie, how you reflected on a whole year - but in July instead of January like many do. Really neat to see all that God is done and to write it out like that. So encouraging! You are doing amazing things as you faithfully walk out what He's called you to. you are a person that is faithful and committed. I have seen you over the last few years do exactly what you said you would do, follow through with your commitments and beyond. This is so contrary to the culture right now - and something we don't see a lot, especially in missions. God is so happy with you right now, and because of your obedience, so many lives are blessed - each child and adult that you've been able to help - each life is so valuable to Him and you will never know until heaven all the fruit that comes from it. Much love to you! xo, Leslie

Rebecca said...

I just read this one, somehow I missed it. Aren't you glad we don't have a 5 year plan? It might scare us!