Monday, January 19, 2009

My life list

I wrote this list about 4 years ago, after reading a friend's book that listed a lot of things to do- some important, others trivial. I found it today, so here, in no particular order, is my list. Some of the things on the list I'm no longer sure I want to do. Others I've already done (I've marked those with an asterisk) and a few I have plans to complete in the next year or so (I've marked those with a pound sign)
*1. Eat sushi
2. Ride in a hot air balloon
3. Ride on a motorcycle
4. Take singing lessons
5. Sketch a lake
6. Paint the sky
*7. Sponsor a child (Damaris in Ecuador)
8. Build a snow fort that has a roof
*9. Go to a Thai restaurant
*10. Find a copy of Five Little Peppers All Grown Up and read it. (I read it online!)
#11. Live in a Latin American country for a couple of years
*12. Spend the summer in a country in Asia, learning the language
*13. Make a quilt (Does a machine sewed t-shirt quilt count?)
14. Make a doll house
15. Learn to crochet
*16. Travel through Europe
17. Be an au pair in Spain
18. Visit Puerto Rico
19. Make an annotated list of historical fiction for kids
20. Make taffy
21. Plant tulips and daffodils
22. Go to the Arctic circle in summer when it’s bright at midnight
23. Become bilingual in English and Spanish (On a good day I consider myself bilingual, but not quite fluent. On a bad day, not so much)
24. Teach in a bilingual class
*25. Get my ESL certification
26. See Michelangelo’s David
*27. See the Sistine Chapel (And Michelangelo's Pieta was there! An added bonus)
28. Memorize Romans 8
29. Read all the Newberry Award books
#30. Live in a city (Well, since it was on my list, I guess I didn't think my 5 months in Ecuador counted. Bogota for 2 years should count though)
31. Go to California (I don't think landing in the airport there counts, right?)
32. Read The Pedagogy of the Oppressed
33. Wear a dress form the 1860’s complete with a hoop skirt
34. Buy a pair of navy blue dress shoes
#35. Do some sort of missions/volunteer work with street kids
36. Write a book
37. Get a masters degree
38. Visit Stonehenge
39. Ride a gondola in Venice (I was SO close. I've been to Venice, the gondola will have to wait)
40. Walk on the great wall of China
41. Go on a safari
42. Fall in love
43. Get married
44. Have kids
*45. Buy a shepherd to complete my crèche.
*46. Find the name of that painting that I loved from the Musee d’Orsay. (I saw a book at Barnes and Noble about the Musee d'Orsay and looked through until I found it. It's called Haymaking and is by Jules Bastien-Lepage)

No comments: